Thursday, March 30, 2006

I'm a one-comb-woman

Last weekend I stopped at a street-side fortune teller near the bazaar in Zanjan. He was a fascinating-looking character with a full white beard and a woolen cap pulled low on his head.

My expectations of what he might tell me weren't too high, but I was hoping for a little clarity on our currently muddled life situation... a hint of things to come? A glimpse of where we might land?

Our mystical mate asked for my first name and my mother's first name. Then he set to work flicking the beads of an abacus around in no particular order. When he was satisfied with the results and the abacus was safely back in its plastic covering, he took a very battered book from his lap and began reading in a monotone voice, speaking heavily Turk-inflected Farsi.

My friend AmirReza translated a summary of my fortune thusly: "Don't share your comb with anybody. A person with red hair is your enemy. Be good to your husband. Buy a turquoise ring for good luck."

Finally! Words to live by...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

With the red hair warning, do not accept a posting in Ireland!! They might use your comb on the sly!

Anonymous said...

i am glad someone had the sense to tell you to be good to that man of yours.