Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Take this hijab and shove it

I'm leaving tonight for 10 days of reprieve... Time off for good behaviour.

It will be great to see family and friends, eat pork and walk with my head uncovered. After almost a year, I still can't quite figure out the whole head scarf thing. It's a pain in the ass when it keeps slipping and covering our hair really does nothing to protect a woman's modesty. I probably get more stares, jeers and lewd comments here than I have anywhere. Thankfully I don't understand exactly what is being said but the body language says enough.

The issue has come to a bit of a head at work too, where schools have started to refuse to visit our resource centre because the women there don't cover up. What amazes me is that it's still a problem even if it is a group of girls. Apparently it is just too difficult for the teachers and parents to explain to the girls why some women don't wear a head scarf. I guess telling them that the world is full of different people with different religions and traditions is asking too much.

No comments: