Monday, January 11, 2010

A Real Value Menu

Last night I had my first meal outside the hotel. It was, unfortunately, not a Yemeni meal. I'm saving that for when I can go to a good restaurant and have a positive first experience with the cuisine. Instead, I went to a popular falafel joint in Sana'a called, appropriately, Palestine Falafel.

One of my chief complaints with falafel in New York is the excessive use of garlic, both in the falafel and in the ubiquitous hummus that accompanies it. Last night's meal was perfectly seasoned. The falafel were crisp and tasty and dressed only with some tahini sauce, tomatoes and cucumbers. The wraps came in normal and spicy. I tried one of each and both were delicious.

The kicker to the whole experience was the price: 70 riyals per wrap, which works out to about 35 cents. Three falafel sandwiches for a dollar? Now that's what I call a happy meal!

No comments: