Friday, April 09, 2010

Our New Life: Week One

Life in a hotel is a bit of a treat... I must say I love the king-size bed and the fact that someone else comes to clean my bathroom every day! Our room looks east, over Halifax harbour, and in the mornings we can watch the sun come up. We've been sleeping pretty well, except for that one night when we woke up at 3am to the shrieks of an Asian call girl in the next room.

We emptied the stuff out of the minibar and filled it instead with our own food. In the mornings, we make coffee and have bananas, yogurt and granola. Lunch the past few days has been ham and cheese sandwiches, with Gruyere cheese given to us by our Swiss friend Nicolas. Dinner last night was at Kempster's, our favorite family restaurant, but other nights we sit on the floor and have a "picnic" of olives, hummus, cheese, prosciutto and other yummy things. There's a wine store and supermarket right next to the hotel, which is very convenient!

The house/apartment hunt is a bit of a drag, though I'm trying not to let it get me down. We have the eternal problem of "champagne tastes and a beer budget" so all the houses we like would put us into big fat debt. The stuff we could afford is uninspiring at best. I've been thinking it might be better to rent, but even the rental market is really tight and competitive right now and the sales market is downright crazy... I hope we have some luck this weekend as I'd much rather be in our own place.

This morning I spent two hours doing a writing and editing test for the CBC, with an eye to doing some web news writing work. I think I did OK, though two hours is not a lot of time for what they asked... I am now exhausted! Might head to the pool for a quick swim. That is one thing I WILL miss about living in a hotel!

No comments: