Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Battle on the Bridge

 
Look at this bridge. Isn't it beautiful? Doesn't it look like something out of a fairy tale?

I really want to go there and visit it, but it's in an area of the north where fighting has been ongoing, leaving the region off limits for travel.

I was bemoaning the lack of access to some of the most amazing parts of the country to my Yemeni friend the other day. When I brought up the bridge at Shaharah and how I'd really like to visit it, he said: "Do you know my grandfather fought the Turks there? My family was loyal to Imam Yahya and my grandfather was killed there, on the bridge, with his jambiya in his hand."

This is what I mean about history feeling like it happened yesterday. I will now not be able to look at a picture of Shaharah bridge without picturing a hand-to-hand battle between invading Ottomans and my friend's rebellious grandpa. 

No comments: